In this blog inspired by Wolf, I showcase models that I design and post information of interest to the origami folder. I also have a photostream in Flickr (the link is down there). Do enjoy your visit here and don't forget to tag or leave a few comments on my work! If you have folded any of my models, please send their pictures to me, and I will be delighted to publish them in this blog. By the way, please check out the "Important Links" below the archives; they are that important :) The "Origami Singapore" page has links to other folders from Singapore. Have fun!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cross Grave - Variations

Hi everyone!

Following my Cross Grave post, Cupcake, another folder, did a variation on the cross model that turned out very well. ^_^ He kindly allowed me to show you guys his model, which changes the dimensions of the original cross (7 x 5) to a smaller one (4 x 3). The model become smaller and easier to fold, but most importantly, it shows how a versatile folder can change a design if he plans it well enough.

Click here to see cupcake's model in his flickr account (I had the picture but somehow it doesn't show up)

Very nicely done! Judging from the picture, I thought he used a 15 x 15 grid for this model (but he told me that it was really 16 x 16 ^_^) ; a very interesting feature of this type of "pop-out" origami is that any square grid can be used. Theoretically, the paper can be extended without bound on all four sides, but the model, jutting out from the centre and thus not needing the edges and corners, will remain intact. This is what gives "pop-out" origami an unlimited (at least, in my opinion) potential for the combination of models.

Now for a little exercise: how many squares does this cross take up from the paper? Try it out if you're interested!

As to how Cupcake managed to make his cross, it probably went something like this: please refer to the pictures in my last post, and scroll down to the second picture from the top. In that step, instead of forming two 2 x 1 x 1 building blocks each two squares away from the central square, he folded two 1 x 1 x 1 building blocks each one square away from the central square.
He then proceeded on with the rest of the steps until his cross reached a certain height. Folders may want to try this model out, and more adventurous ones (with very thin paper available) may want to extend the method to make a cross with dimensions 10 x 7! (figure out how I arrived at those two magical figures yourself ^_^)

I hope this post has managed to convince you guys that it is possible to create variations of models with enough planning! Then again, if any of you guys have folded any of my models, please let me know, and I may feature it on this blog!

Thank you very much Cupcake for folding my models! ^_^



Origami as Pure as Snow
Shonen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well actually, its 16:16 as you would call this. Technically, the middle lines are 32:32 counting all the folds.
Thanks for featuring my fold! :D

Shonen said...

ohh hahaha i saw wrongly ^_^
no probs!