In this blog inspired by Wolf, I showcase models that I design and post information of interest to the origami folder. I also have a photostream in Flickr (the link is down there). Do enjoy your visit here and don't forget to tag or leave a few comments on my work! If you have folded any of my models, please send their pictures to me, and I will be delighted to publish them in this blog. By the way, please check out the "Important Links" below the archives; they are that important :) The "Origami Singapore" page has links to other folders from Singapore. Have fun!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Cross Grave

My second post in a month!! Cheers guys! Thanks for your support! =D
D.Gray-man rocks more than Bleach now ^_^


I mentioned in the last post that knowing how to superimpose or combine sub-models to form new designs is very important. The model that will be shown in this post is formed by a combination of building blocks of various dimensions and placed strategically around the model to give the planned end result.

Behold, the Cross!



Dang, somehow I just can't get the lighting right ^_^

Next, I'll be showing pictorial instructions to making this model, but you have to be familiar with how to make building blocks of varying dimensions. Here's a little tip to help you control the height of a building block: create a buidling block of height 1, then treat the paper as though it were flat and form an identical building block at exactly the same spot using the same creases. Keep repeating this step and eventually the building block will reach the desired height.

The italicized sentence is extremely important in the combination of sub-models; experienced folders in this form of "pop-out" origami can skip it, but the technique described in the sentence can help beginners to combine sub-models efficiently.

Start with a 32 x 32 grid. Choose a central square which will eventually become the square on the highest point on the cross (refer to the previous photo). As there is no central square (the grid size is even), choose one that is as central as it can be. Next, form 2 identical 2 x 1 x 1 building blocks such that they are on opposite sides of the central square and there are two squares between the central square and each of the building blocks (as to how the dimensions of the building block are to be interpreted, refer to my last post). The result so far:



Next, treat the paper as if it were flat and construct a 1 x 1 x 1 building block whose topmost surface is the central square. As we are treating the paper as if it were flat, do not be disturbed by any places which are thicker when folding.

At this stage, it should look something like this:



Treating the paper as if it were flat, form another 1 x 1 x 1 building block at the exact same spot.



You'd be wondering what these three prongs are for, but you'll see in the next step!

Do that step yet again, i.e. treating the paper as if it were flat, form another 1 x 1 x 1 building block at the exact same spot.



See now? ^_^

The disadvantage of treating the paper as if it were flat is that the paper is not flat, and the layers build up and prove to be a nuisance sometimes, as in this case, where the paper is so thick that I cannot press the layers down flat into the required shape for fear of damaging the structure.

The remaining steps are just performing the previous step again...



... and again and again until the cross reaches a height of your choice. I felt that a height of 7 was the best in this case, but the height can be varied to your wishes.



This is what the paper looked like once I finished folding. My friends from Origami Singapore had recommended "Elephanthide Paper" to me, but true to its name, it refused to submit to creases easily... In this model, the paper near the "joints" puffed up like a spring because of extra thickness there, and the extra paper at the base also piled up because of all the layers of paper accumulated there. Only one way to sort things out... wet-folding!

I restrained the puffed-up parts with rubber bands (I just had to run out of them at that critical moment) and put the cross under the tap for a few seconds, shook off the extra water and laid it on the floor to dry with heavy books (thank goodness for the World Book series) pinning down all those layers at the edges. I left the entire set-up overnight, and removed the rubber bands in the morning to get the final result.

A picture of my valiant efforts to subdue the thickness of paper:



Now for an explanation for the title of this post; Firstly, my parents thought of a tombstone the moment they saw this model (which was a little disappointing T_T), and "Cross Grave" appears in D.Gray-man!

As mark of my new anime affiliation, I will end off this post in a new way...



Origami as Pure as Snow
Shonen

(My eternal thanks to the creator of this excellent picture! ^_^)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Simply amazing, great job. Keep up the block work.

Shonen said...

Thanks! yeahh block work for the win =D

Anonymous said...

I just folded it (sort of... I found out that I should have read it first) except mine is 4 blocks tall and 3 wide. I wet folded mine too :D neat model, I'm going to have to try and incorporate this into a model sometime.

Now fold Stonehenge! :P

Shonen said...

hahaha i'll try and think of how to fold it :) It's easy for you to incorporate this into a model, because you can treat the paper as if it were flat and continue folding another model right under it ^_^ you might have to manipulate the paper size to ensure that after folding the cross, you end up with a square. To do that, you can do a counting of the dimensions of the model (discussed in the previous post) and manipulate the dimensions of the paper used for folding. Would you mind sending me a picture of your completed model? I'd like to see how other folders interpret my models (like in the Knight on Horseback), and it would be a great help! It would also encourage other folders to try folding the models themselves ^_^ Hope you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

Here is my cross grave:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamicupcake/2511227414/
As I said, its a bit smaller and I folded it out of foil to keep its shape (This is really my second one. The first I wetfolded). Great model!

Shonen said...

thanks a lot, cupcake! this will really help folders see that they can vary designs to their wishes by planning out steps beforehand =D